Unite the Union
Executive Council By-Election
North East, Yorkshire and Humberside Region
Sharon WadwellWorkplace: First Group Leeds
I work at First Group Leeds as a bus driver and have been a member of Unite for 10years. Since joining I have been involved as an activist working alongside the late Ian McDonald.
I am seeking Branch/Chapel nominations to enable me to stand in this important election.
My experience as an activist includes:
· Women's rep for 5 years
· Recently elected as equalities rep for First Leeds
· Delegate to Passenger Transport National Industrial Sector Committee
· Delegate to regional LGBT committee
· Delegate to Unite Equalities Conference 2012
· Labour Party member
For the last 5 years I have been representing Unite and the LGBT by actively supporting Leeds Pride and this year I will be following in a great mans shoes and taking the place of Ian McDonald by leading the Unite members to make people aware of who we are and why equalities lay at the heart of our union.
I have been selected as the United Left candidate for this election and if elected to the Executive Council I will work with the current regional Executive members and continue the progress made by this region that has brought it to the forefront of the progressive initiatives instigated recently by Unite, including the new Community membership and the launch of the Unite Women’s toolkit.
We must ensure that our union continues to fight against the austerity programme imposed on our class by this out of touch Con-Dem Government:
· Oppose all cuts at every opportunity
· Defend pension rights of all workers
· Ensure that reps have the resources at their disposal to protect members in the workplace
· Ensure that our education programme is the best and delivers the training our reps deserve
· Build opposition to attacks on Trade union and employment rights
If you elect me you will be choosing a person who is a committed activist, has a keen sense of accountability and will represent North East, Yorkshire and Humberside region in the interests of members.
Please nominate and support the United Left candidate